Thursday, November 21, 2013

Before and After: Faux Bois in the Powder Bath

This is our small powder bath.  Before, it was very brown...even the toilet lid/seat:





I didn't want to spend extra money on paint, when we already had some left from doing the rest of the house.  So, I just used the gray on hand.  I did want to do something to give this room a different feel.  I found a Martha Stewart texturing kit at Home Depot.  I picked it up, along with her silver glaze.  It was much cheaper than changing paint colors altogether.

I'm not an accent wall person.  However, the faux bois would have been too jarring used on every single surface.  This is the wall you see upon entry, so it made sense to choose the faux bois here.


My dad had his bathroom remodeled, so I was able to get rid of the wood mirror, and use this gold metallic one from his house.  I don't really care that it's not "matchy."  I actually prefer the mix of metallics. 

The roller in the kit made it easy to manipulate the glaze into that tree bark-y look.  The only area I had trouble with was getting around the sink/cabinet.  The ceiling is also angled, because this bath is located underneath the staircase, but I made it work.


We got rid of the double towel rings, and put up a single towel bar.  


We had painted the cabinet over the toilet white, while painting the kitchen cabinets.  We're leaving these cabinet doors off; I still need to wood fill the hinge slots.  Also replaced were the switchplates.  Once wood, now silver.

I painted this bathroom in one day, while we were having exterior doors replaced.  I'm pretty sure the installer was not a fan of my paint job.  (He also made negative comments about our front door color, whatever.) Guess what?  I like it.  And, I live here.  So, I'm good with it. 

For a tiny space, it feels bigger and brighter now.  It was a fun project.

1 comment:

  1. Love it….So I have decided when we buy a house you have to come stay with me for about a week to help me decorate :)

    ReplyDelete