Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lowered and raised

Tonight, as I laid in the floor by Eli's toddler bed (waiting for him to fall asleep...a different, unrelated note :) I thought about how fast his crib lowered toward the ground. How quickly the need presented itself to put the converter rail on. He's growing up. And I can't stop him from doing that. And, I don't want to. But, I do. You know?

There's a huge part of me that wants to freeze time. To relive some things. To stay in the carefree, pre-school days forever. We can't hold onto it, can we?

We moved into a new house last week. And, it's a great house. Much more than I deserve. But, you know what? It's just a house. And, it's just stuff. While there is joy in blessings, there is also the constant reality that this world, and everything in it, is fleeting.

I find myself missing my mom tonight. This house, the reno, the move, they've all been great distractions from an emotionally draining summer. But, this house does not replace what is not here with us. My mom is in Heaven. And, I'm glad for her. But, I miss her. And, if I could trade this house and my possessions to have her back, I would. In a second.

Things don't matter. People do. And, while I like pretty things, I love people more.

I know I've been posting a lot of "house" stuff lately, and I'll probably continue to...that's what I have going on right now. I don't think there's anything wrong with the fun or frivolous...there's a time and place (like, this blog :) But, I just wanted to take a second to acknowledge I realize the stuff is just that, stuff.

I hope you love your family tonight. I hope you find peace, and rest, and joy.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments: